Sunday, April 22, 2012

Paris... and a ton of other stuff

Hey again :)

So.... PARIS! My trip to Paris was absolutely amazing! It was pretty much a dream come true and I'll have life-long memories from that trip. After a long day of flying (due to the fact that I had a 5 hour layover in Frankfurt), I arrived at Charles de Gaulle airport around 9-ish that evening. I was able to find my family (I stayed with my Aunt and Uncle who moved to Pairs about 2 years ago) and we found our way home.

 During the week I spent a lot of time with my aunt and uncle who I haven't since since I was about 8-9 years old. They were great tour guides and showed me all the sights. We saw all the main sights in Paris (most being shown in the below pictures) as well as some art museums (The Louvre, Orsay, and l'Orangerie), and we took a day trip to Fontainebleau Chateau which also houses the Napoleon museum.



Standing in front of the back part of Notre Dame


A great view of the Seine and Notre Dame


The Louvre



L'Arc de Triomphe


With the Eiffel Tower before we climbed to the top


Amazing view at night!


Sacre Coeur


Fontainebleau


One of my favorite pictures from that whole week


This would be me coming out of the bell tower at Notre Dame

Overall, my trip to Paris was amazing. It was everything I'd dreamed of and more and I'm so thankful I got to go.

Unfortunately, my trip to Paris ended. I flew back home (clarification for every Floridian who I know will have a fit and start getting confused- home to DENMARK!). I was absolutely ecstatic hearing Danish for the first time in a week, I am pretty sure I smiled the whole plane ride just listening in on Danish conversations. 

My first week back was my school's spring break. I spent some time with my host family (we had an Easter lunch with the whole family my first day home) and friends. I spent a day in Odense (which is the 3rd largest city in Denmark) with my host parents and one of their sons who lives there- we went and saw H. C. Anderson's house. Some of the girls in my class got together and had a great dinner together which was fun since I hadn't seen them for almost two weeks by then. I also went to my host parents summer house with the rest of our family. Aside from those main things, I spent my time with friends just hanging out or going into town for a party or two.


Påskefrokost med familien (Easter lunch with the family)- me with a host brother and his girlfriend


H.C. Andersons hus


My host mom and I at the sommerhouse while going on a little walk

After my Spring break, I went back to school. My school had a spring concert which I sang in (I take music class at school, so I was in with the choir).

Since then, life has been just about as "normal" as life here can be for me. I go to school during the week and spend time with friends after school. On the weekends I go to parties, have sleepovers, sleep in late like every other teenager, and go on small daytrips with my host family. 

Recently, my host parents and I went to see some caves and then went on a little picnic after. The caves are just outside of a town called Viborg and the caves are full of bats during the summer and there is also a special part closed off where they make cheese.



On Monday, my host parents and I went to Copenhagen for the Queens birthday. There's a tradition in Denmark that on her birthday people come and wave and hold Danish flags to celebrate her birthday. At noon she comes out onto her balcony with her family while everyone cheers.

After that we had lunch in a classic Danish lunch restaurant, got ice cream, and walked up the Round Tower which was built as an astronomy tower. I had an amazing day in Copenhagen and will honestly never stop loving that city!


The guard


Happy Birthday Queen Margerete II


Love this city


The Round tower


An advertisement for Carlsberg beer that says "Probably the best beer in town".... Danes aren't the best at advertising apparently

Last night I went to my 2nd host parents silver wedding. I had an absolutely amazing time and am so happy I went. I love that family so much so it was great seeing them again, as well as seeing a cute tradition in Denmark. I'll try and get pictures soon and then talk more about it in the next blog!

-McKenzie


No comments:

Post a Comment